- Pregnant women must eat a healthy diet
- Eat a well balanced meal for optimum nutrition
- Stay active for a healthy pregnancy
Motherhood is one of the most beautiful experiences for a woman. It is a life-changing process that comes with its own set of challenges. During the ongoing pandemic, expecting mothers might be worried about the health and safety of the baby. This can increase stress among pregnant women. But following the right precautions can help moms-to-be stay safe and healthy. On the occasion of Mother’s Day 2021, here are some helpful tips for expecting mothers that can assist in healthy and safe pregnancy.
Mother’s Day: Healthy tips for mom-to-be
1. Consuming the right foods and beverages
- A healthy eating plan for pregnancy includes:
- Regular intake of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables as they provide essential vitamins and fiber
- Whole grains such as quinoa, oatmeal, whole-grain bread, and brown rice which provides fiber, vitamin B, and other needed nutrients
- Low-fat milk and milk products or non-dairy soy, almond, or rice milk with added calcium and vitamin D
- Protein from beans, peas, eggs, lean meat, and unsalted nuts & seeds should also be eaten if not allergic
- Limit intake of salt, solid fats (like butter and shortening), and sugar-sweetened drinks and foods
- Getting the appropriate amount of folate is very important as it helps in preventing birth defects
2. Boost immunity
In the current situation, women need to be more careful during their pregnancy and keep a daily check on their immunity system. Along with regular boosters, it is suggested to take iron and calcium supplements along with protein after consulting the appropriate doctor. Moreover, vitamins C, D and E are also recommended. Healthy fluids, tender coconuts, lime juice and fruits enriched with Vitamin C are advisable.
Also read: Food Craving During Pregnancy: Here’s A List Of Foods Expecting Mothers Should Strictly Avoid
3. Gain a healthy amount of weight during pregnancy is normal
Gaining a healthy amount of weight during pregnancy is normal and it helps the mother in delivering the baby easily. It also lowers the chances of the mother and her child having obesity and weight-related problems later in life. However, too much or too little weight may also lead to serious health problems and can raise the chances for developing diabetes or high blood pressure during pregnancy.
Also read: Vitamin D Requirement During Pregnancy: Benefits, Daily Requirement, Food Sources And Much More
4. Physical Activity
Regular physical activity can help reduce the risk of pregnancy complications and ease pregnancy discomforts, like back pain. Do simple exercises after consulting your doctor.
5. Maintain physical and emotional well-being
Soon-to-be mothers should maintain personal hygiene. Wash your hands regularly and ensure cleanliness in the household. it i also essential to maintain a healthy sleep schedule.
Also read: Nutritionist Reveals How Much Weight Is Safe To Gain During Pregnancy
Also, it is best to regularly interact with your gynaecologist who can guide you with daily queries and smoothen the process from pregnancy to childbirth.
(Dr Aruna Kalra, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, CK Birla Hospital, Gurgaon)
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.